Sunday, May 24, 2009

Rainy Days and Sundays

Today is a rainy and chilly (to me) Sunday. Memorial Day weekend isn't supposed to be like this! We need sun and warmth and cookouts! Well, someday it will be nice in Custer for more than one day at a time. When everything comes together, this is a beautiful place to live. Upstate New York, where we come from, is a lot like this area, scenery and weather-wise. When you are young you can adapt to most anything, but the older I get the more I long for nice weather. Some would say that we have nice weather here in the Black Hills, but I am not sure I agree with that. This past year has been colder and cloudier than I like and I am not sure how much hope I have for the future, since everyone around me is already warm most of the time! I thought hotter days outside would help me, but then the air-conditioners came on and negated everything.

Well, on the positive side, I am enjoying my new eyeglasses. I can see so much better and I think I probably look so much better, though few are willing to comment aloud on that! I'm hoping the insurance will help a little on the expense. Now if I can only figure how to get some new tires for the Explorer, since I had to use some of Rol's money for the day in Rapid at doctor appointments, lunches, and my glasses. Extra bills took the rest and now his tire money has vanished.

All in all, today, I am feeling thankful for God's provision in our lives. I am also feeling thankful for my kids, grandkids and great-grandkids. They bring laughter and smiles along with the usual concerns. They mostly bring assurance that life goes on and that life will always be worth the living. I used to hear my mom say that and I wondered how she could look forward to the future without my dad, and with the Parkinson's that so affected her quality of life. She said she was just living for the great-great-grandkids. Well, I guess now I can see how that happens, but in case anyone is wondering, I want my husband around for far longer. And I want to serve my Lord for far longer and I guess I just need to get busy and quit my whining...........!

2 comments:

  1. Everyone, except those with that unusual ability to be happy all the time, has issues important enough to them to cause sadness and all that goes with it. I don't know that any of us are immune to those things, but I do find that God is a great insulator to keeping the symptoms at bay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott,

    Well, God, family support, laughing kids and grandkids, friends, sunny days, my Bible, yummy breakfasts, some plans for the future, happy memories...all these keep me from getting down. And my excellent A1C count was no small boost! I can see how God has all things in hand, and has plans for my good.

    Hope you have a good holiday with everyone.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete